Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Moving Treasures

There are treasures we possess that only get attention when a major cleaning is underway, like when we move. Sean and I are packing for our move and I came across my report cards from grade school, right down to kindergarten. For those of you who wonder if it's true, are we really set in our ways from five years old? I say yes. It must be. Mrs. Brucella said I had difficulty with scissors (still do, unsteady hands) and Ms. Murphy said I daydreamed too much (also true.)

Daydreaming is something I still do, often at times I don't intend. My father-in-law has caught me at it more than once. "She's off in Dawn-world again." Hence, the name of this blog. Dawn World is where my vague thoughts and glimpses are blended and shaken into ideas. Sometimes, daydreaming helps me solve a plot problem I'm having with a story. How many nights have I struggled to find out how one character can save the day and still live, when the answer will work itself out in the back of my mind only to appear in a daydream. This is why I leave pen and paper all over the house - I never have to go far to jot the idea down before it disappears back into Dawn World.

The moral of the blog is, if you see someone daydreaming, don't startle them out of it. When they smile back to full consciousness, then you can ask what it was about. Oh, and if it's a kid? Encourage them. :-)

2 comments:

Margaret M. Fisk said...

Not quite directly related, but my parents are still going through their papers that they stored for centuries and my father found a short story written when I was about 9 or so. I don't THINK I have anything going back as far as 5, but back then I KNEW what I wanted to be :).

D.M. Bonanno said...

That's awesome they saved something you wrote. Mine went into the trash. I don't think anyone even knew what they were... lol.