Saturday, July 26, 2008

I Knew It

I know when some weeks are impossible for completing anything, and I'm glad this was one week I did expect it. That said, I was able to not stress out over my lack of finishing anything I started. And, I was able to continue writing in dribs and drabs, keeping my projects alive. So what did I do this week?

* Once A Thief - Realized the main character is poking her head up in about three different short story ideas right now, and that I need to give her some free writing time next week to find out who she really is, and what problems she's really having. Once I know that, I can fit her into the correct story, and move the two others back into worldbuilding/plotting and come up with appropriate main characters.

* Sunguard - did some market research and found an anthology I believe is appropriate which sparked a revelation that my ending was all wrong.

* Crit - read a story for crit, and will try to get the crit done this evening. It's a short story (flash fiction) so it shouldn't be a days-long project. I just need to sit down and do it.

The one bad thing I did was daydream about my submission being accepted. I wasn't getting anything done anyway, so that's not the issue, but it's silly to get my hopes up. There are a lot of writers out there who are as good as me, and some better, and I have lots of practicing to do. That said, I do have a lot of faith in this story, and I want it to have a home like I've never wanted it before. But that will come in time, not on its very first venture out of the house.

I've been toying with the idea of writing a workshop on Time Management for writers to participate in S.L. Viehl's workshop week, but ironically enough, I don't think I have the time to write it up this particular weekend. Maybe I'll set it up and just post it when it's ready. It's not that I've mastered time, I think I've come a long way in understanding where it is, and where it isn't in my life, and I've gotten pretty effecient at determining how to use it. My July goals are near completion. The last item, writing a short story, is complicated because of the character issues. I hope to get it done, but like I said, this last week and a half of July promised distance from my writing. Maybe tonight, after the crit...

Here's a link to the workshops for next week. If you've got any interest in writing, go check it out Monday - Friday. Paperback Writer

No comments: