Monday, June 23, 2008

Don't Take Your Authors for Granted

My blog is about writing and very little else. It makes sense to me that since reading influences my writing, it should also influence my blog. It's another way for me to support the authors I enjoy, and especially the authors who have influenced my writing, whether it be through their own writing, or direct contact with these normal everyday people who have their own issues and worries and loads of talent to bog all that down.

Never take for granted that your beloved authors will always be there. Writing is competetive. If their sales aren't top notch, they won't be getting new contracts. Don't have time to read it all now? That's fine. You know you love them, you're going to buy the books anyway. Buy the books now and have them ready for when you want to pick them up.

My rule has always been to buy paperback rather than hardcover because I could purchase more books that way. I still have a hard time spending $25 or more on a hardcover and can't wait for the day when Lotto picks my numbers and I can buy all hardcovers and show them off on an antique cherry bookcase. I'd rather help a little, all the way around.

I'll share with you my current reading list, what I think you'll like about the book, and link you to the author's site in hopes you'll check them out and support them too.

No comments: