Thursday, June 26, 2008

When An Edit Isn't An Edit

When is an edit not an edit? When it's a complete rewrite. I think that's my problem with Sunguard. I deleted the first three pages, wrote another two and a half, but I'm going to delete most of that. I'll wait until I get the ending sorted out, then tie the beginning directly to that. In the meantime, I'm not happy with what I rewrote.

I'm right back at the original issue of viewpoint, too. Ashelle's voice hits my fingers in the first person, and I'm forcing her back to third. (I type often before I realize what's in my head). I don't write first person well, but I don't think Ashelle is giving me a choice this time.

I also think I've started the story in the wrong place. (Real interesting timing with the online advanced fiction course I'm taking through University of Madison. The first lesson is "Begin Someplace That Matters".)

Since I'm rewriting this anyway, I'll try the first person, see if I can't do something decent with it. It may help to reread one of my viewpoint reference books. Maybe I'll grab it on the way up to bed.

On the upside, I decided today I wanted to start sketching again. I don't know where it came from, aside from sharing my beloved colored pencils with my two year old daughter.

No comments: