Thursday, June 12, 2008

Still Editing

I'm holding myself to high standards right now, so the edit is taking a while. I took a new approach to find the Voice this story seemed to lack, and was drawn in by the freewriting. I enjoyed the results so much I was tempted to rewrite the story in First Person, but I got some feedback and -- I agree, btw -- it wasn't enough to hold the story. So I will stick with my original 3rd person viewpoint.

I've been reading a lot more lately, focusing on short stories. I have a tendency to subscribe to several fiction magazines a year, and not touch them until the bug hits. I usually end up devouring 6 months of magazines in the span of just a few weeks. It's good though. I'm reading some quality stories and then hitting my stories for editing and I'm learning that my stuff does not yet compare with these published stories. Yet. I'm learning from them. It'll be my turn someday. :)

No comments: