Friday, April 9, 2010

trying to fit it all in

I've been horrible with my fitness and healthy eating plan, so I've finally figured out how to fix the food situation. First, no more buying food from the cafeteria at work. On Sunday, I'll be prepping veggie and fruit containers to handle that. I have to test how long a made salad will last in an air tight container, and I have to remember to hardboil five eggs on Sunday while I'm prepping my food. I managed to eat healthy for 3 workdays this week, which happened to be the days I was able to get up earlier.  So it all ties in.

But the exercise? I've been walking during lunch on the nice days, but walking isn't enough. I need a way to fit in weights and max cardio. Walking should be a bonus. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to mess with my writing schedule to fit this in. My least productive writing time is the evening session, so do I give that up to do a dvd workout after the kids go to bed? I'd still be able to fit in my reading afterward. Having the new laptop will help too - maybe I can get a half hour of writing related stuff in. I'm going to have to play with this. I was only planning on using 3 lunches a week at work for writing, the other two for fitness. I have a hard time with running a different schedule from day to day, but I think this is what I'll have to do. Even play it by ear-- if it's a lunch workout day, then I write in the evening. If it's a writing lunch, I work out in the evening.

The problem with that, is betwen the day job and getting the kids sorted out, the rest is kind of relfex. "It's 8:15pm so I need to be at my computer writring", etc. I like reflex. It's what makes my schedule work. I think I could reduce my 8x11 weekly schedule sheet down to an index card and print it off so it's more accessible in my purse calendar which I look at daily, rather than in my writing folder, which doesn't come out until I sit down to write.

And the bad news is this gets adjusted 2-3 times a year based on the amount of sunlight available to drive home in after work. Which means I'd lose my after work writing time November through January.

Damn it, I need to be more flexible. :) Or move someplace where the sun shines more in the winter. :D Better wait for the bestseller for that . . .

No comments: